1 lb (450grams) zucchini ¼ cup plain flour ⅛ tsp salt 1 cup panko bread crumbs ¼ cup parmesan cheese 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning blend (optional) 1 large egg
1. Rinse and dry the zucchini. Cut the ends off and then cut each one into strips, approximately 1cm (⅓ inch) thick.
Try to keep the thickness uniformed, as it will bake more evenly.
2. Place the zucchini strips in a large zip top bag and add the flour and salt. Shake the bag to coat the zucchini in flour.
3. In a wide, shallow bowl combine the panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning.
Stir to combine. In a second wide, shallow bowl, whisk a raw egg with about 1 Tbsp of water until fairly smooth.
4. Begin to preheat your oven to 220oC (425oF). Next, cover a baking sheet with foil and then place two wire cooling racks over top.
5. One by one, take the flour coated zucchini strips and dip them in the egg and then the seasoned bread crumb mixture.
Place the breaded zucchini on the wire cooling racks.
The wire racks keep the zucchini up off of the baking sheet and allows hot air to circulate underneath, which will prevent soggy bottoms. Also make sure there is a small amount of space between each strip to allow circulation.
6. Once all of the zucchini strips are breaded, bake them for approximately 15 minutes or until they are a medium golden brown colour. Cooking time will vary with the thickness of your zucchini strips, so keep a close eye.
Serve warm either plain or with dipping sauce (of your choice)